Cold Laser Therapy
Cold Laser Therapy is a tool I use in my clinic to help my patients.
Cold Laser Therapy (or Low Level Laser Therapy) is the application of light energy to targeted damaged cells throughout the body. The cells absorb the light energy and are stimulated to repair.
How does Cold Laser Therapy complement Chiropractic Care?
Your brain is constantly sending and receiving signals through the nervous system to monitor the entire body. When you have joint misalignment or damaged tissues, those signals can be interrupted (read more about Chiropractic Care). That’s why utilitsing chiropractic AND Cold Laser Therapy can be very beneficial in repairing the body back to optimal function as soon as possible, because we are tackling the problem from two angles.
Cold Laser Therapy helps to speed the healing response by reducing the formation of scar tissue after an injury. In my clinical experience, the sooner you treat the body after the injury, the quicker it heals. Early treatment also reduces the chance of re-injury and reduces lasting tissue damage.
Dr Carmen Hunwardsen using Cold Laser Therapy
When should I consider Cold Laser Therapy?
Any time you have an injury, sprain, strain or surgery.
Cold Laser Therapy is beneficial where inflammation (swelling and heat) is present as the treatment allows for better lymphatic drainage. It also increases the available oxygen that damaged cells need to repair. This is particularly beneficial when treating conditions related to osteoarthritis and sports (or overuse) injuries as well.
Clinical studies have shown significant reduction of pain from osteoarthritis in knees 1-3 months after the end of therapy. (1) I can personally vouch for the improvement of my own knee issues through Cold Laser Therapy!
Other conditions that can be helped with Cold Laser Therapy are:
- Neck pain (2)
- Muscle fatigue recovery or injuries (3)
- Ankle sprain swelling relief (4)
- Back and leg pain (5)
- Pre-sporting events for improved performance (6)
Many patients with various other conditions have found relief, improvement and recovery with this treatment protocol. If you have tried everything else, try Cold Laser Therapy and see if it can make a difference for you!
Cold Laser Therapy has been proven to have beneficial effects on a number of cosmetic concerns (7):
- Acne scars
- Hypertrophic scars
- Healing of burns
- UV damage (both treatment and preventative)
You can book a Cold Laser Therapy session via the bookings button:
- Gur, A. Efficacy of different therapy regimes of low-power laser in painful osteoarthritis of the knee: A double-blind and randomized-controlled trial. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine. Vol33, Iss5, pp330-338, Dec2003.
- Chow, R et al Efficacy of low-level laser therapy in the management of neck pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized placebo or active treatment controlled trials. Lancet. 2009. 5;374(9705): 1897-908.
- Douris P et al. Effect of phototherapy on delayed onset muscle soreness. Photomed Laser Surg. 2006. 24(3):377-82.
- Stergiuolas A. Low-level laser treatment can reduce edema in second degree ankle sprains. J Clin Laser Med Surg. 2004 Apr;22(2):125-8.
- Konstantinovic LM et al. Acute low back pain with radiculopathy: a double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Aug;28(4):553-60.
- Ernesto Cesar Pinto Leal Junior, PT, PhD et al. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 2010 Volume:40 Issue:8 Pages:524532 DOI:10.2519/jospt.2010.3294
- Pinar Avci MD, et al. Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine & Surgery, 2013 Volume: 32 No.:1 Pages 41-52.